Saturday, December 17, 2005


Coconut Milk Rice Pudding

M has a major sweet tooth, being the
quintessential Bengali that he is. This was the perfect excuse to make some rice kheer, albeit, with a little twist..I used a good amount of coconut milk along with condensed milk. Using coconut in kheer is not a new concept; Coconut Payesam (Pudding) was prepared as a "prasadam" ( Offering to god) on certain auspicious days at my home. But adding coconut milk added a very delicate flavor to this pudding.


Ingredients

1 can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
~ 4 cups of water to thin the condensed milk
1/2 can lite coconut milk ( You could also use 4 tbsp of coconut milk powder , mixed with 2 tbsp of water)
1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice ( Using a rice which has more starch content results in a creamier pudding)
1/2 cup of frozen shredded coconut, thawed ( Add ~ 1/2 cup of water to the frozen coconut and microwave for 1 minute)
~ 8 - 10 Cardamom seeds powdered(
Optional)

Method

Heat the 4 cups of water in a pan. Add 3/4 of the condensed milk to the water, stirring well. Add the washed Jasmine rice. Let the rice cook on a medium flame, stirring around every 3-5 minutes. Add more water if necessary. Once the rice is nearly cooked, add the rest of the condensed milk along with the coconut milk, thawed shredded coconut and powdered cardamom. Stir well and continue cooking till the rice is done. Serve chilled.

6 Comments:

Blogger sailu said...

Anu,got you thru Nupur's blog.Love coconut and talk of payasam...just reminds me of festivals when we prepare 'prasadam'.Payasam is my all time fav prasadam..:)
Btw,great start.Keep them coming,Anu.

10:09 AM  
Blogger anu said...

Thanks Sailu! Your words of encouragement will keep me going :-)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Excellent beginning Anu. Bonne chance with the coconut groove. I have added to my monster directory of Indian food bloggers. Cheers! Will visit for more.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

welcome to blogosphere Anu. I am from Chicago too. Are you Bengali? Asking coz the foodie in me wants to know in advance the recipes you will post!!! And have a great affinity to the people (spent 7 years in Calcutta). But I think not, all your cookbooks are veg! Anyway look fwd to more...

1:40 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

I also used coconut in my kheer, as is our way. and i just love it. this urs was great...linked you..

7:04 AM  
Blogger anu said...

Thanks all for encouraging a newbie :-) I have been busy house hunting the last month , but plan to get back into the blogging mode now!


Ashwini, I am actually not a Bengali :-) I am from TN, though I was born and bought up in Nagpur. But I am sure glad to hear from someone in beautiful Chicago!! We should swap more info !!

Parna - do let me know how your kheer turns out!

Vkn, Anthony - Thank you for your comments and for adding a link to my blog!!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home